Monday, November 2, 2009

saying no


I am very good at saying "no thanks" to plastic bags here there and everywhere. But one place where I don't say no is where I buy my fruit and vegetables and I thought it was about time for that to change. I've seen a lot of different produce bags on the Internet and I was lucky to be given Sewing Green by Betz White as a birthday present and that has a produce bag pattern, but none were really what I was looking for. I wanted something very light weight (who wants to add extra weight to the cost of their fruit and vege?) and see through so my checkout operator could easily identify it's contents .I found a length of pretty net curtain fabric in my stash and that seemed perfect. I used a plastic bag from the fruit shop to make mine the same size and I added a length of ribbon folded in half in the seam near the top to act as a tie. I'd love to say I bought the above apples and oranges in these bags, but I forgot to put the bags in the car! They will definitely get a work out next time though. I made a few extra for a present for my mum for christmas ( she doesn't read this blog so I should be safe) because she likes to say no to plastic bags too.

4 comments :

  1. Those are great! I never would have thought to make some. I use the onya weigh bags http://www.onyabags.co.nz/shop.php?crn=208 and they come stuffed into a tiny silky bag with a drawstring, toggle and carabiner so they clip onto my main shopping bag. You might need to make one of them too ;o)

    ReplyDelete
  2. thanks for that link Meg. I think I've seen them before, maybe in the good magazine? It's great that they can clip on then they wouldn't get left behind!

    ReplyDelete
  3. ack! these are so, so great. off to make some today- thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I made some out of tulle which is a bugger to work with but weighs next to nothing. They are so easy to make and I think the hardest bit is actually remembering to take them with us when we need them!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for your comments, it makes my day! - I try and reply by email, so it's great if your email is connected to your account.