Wednesday, April 7, 2010

April change


My March change was to grow more vegetables and especially grow some vegetables over the coming winter months, something that I've never done before. I got busy (with some help from my 4 year old daughter) and planted quite a few different varieties of winter vegetables, a few details can be found in this post. So far so good and nothing has died so far and they are growing well. Hopefully in a few months we will be eating them! It wasn't as hard as I thought it was going to be, the biggest problem so far is keeping up with the white butterflies that are laying eggs on everything that I've planted, as I try and keep the garden organic I've taken to keeping up with the caterpillar population by hand. After a few days away at Easter I've come home to some big holes and a few fat caterpillars.
A change for our family this month is to be more careful with water. While we are careful there are more steps that we can take to be more careful with this precious resource. I sometimes tip out the water in the children's' water bottles at the end of the day, this could be used to water the garden. I do try and save some grey water from the washing machine - but could save more. The list goes on really, so I'm going to try and change some bad water habits this month.

3 comments :

  1. That is a great goal for the month. Something a lot of us could definitely work on, including my family. Using your leftover water from washing the dishes in a spray bottle on the garden apparently helps with the white butterflies.. two birds with one stone : )

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's a great tip Rhiannon, thanks. I'll definately be doing that from now on.

    ReplyDelete
  3. grrr, yes those white butterflies! And I'm finding the tiny little whiteflies a pain too. Aparently the white butterflies disappear when the weather gets cold - here's hoping. My kids are really good a bug squashing, I find the bugs and put them on the ground and then they squish them with their gumboots :)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for your comments, it makes my day! - I try and reply by email, so it's great if your email is connected to your account.