Friday, November 30, 2012

secret



Can you keep a secret? I hope so. I found this cool vintage Sylvanian Families log cabin at my local Salvation Army store. It's just perfect for miss E for Christmas - don't tell her!. Sylvanian families obsessed would be putting it mildly. There has been lots of ticks and circles in the Sylvanian catalogue. A house has been on the list from the start, but boy the price of those things and I'm a bit unsure if they would hold up in my household strength-wise. But when I saw this I knew it was just what I was looking for. Sturdy, wooden, priced right and perfectly vintage. The only problem was it was a little dusty!

I know not everyone would consider buying second hand for Christmas presents something that they would do. I don't see a problem with teaching my children not to expect everything new, learning about recycling (caring for our environment right?) and also looking after/valuing their things so they could be passed on to someone else. Would you buy second hand for presents?

7 comments :

  1. What a find - congratulations! Today I actually bought our little girl a second hand wooden pram which will be part of her Christmas present along with a little doll I am making for her. I love the idea of "new to her" items, and to be honest she is too young to know the difference anyway. x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sometimes the best presents are second hand. I found a beautiful silver hand mirror in an op shop earlier this year. With a lot of polishing and a bit of trepidation I gave it to my daughter for her 15th birthday. And she loved it. So, yes, I would, and do ,buy second hand for presents.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Haha you know me, of course I would give a second hand present. But only to someone who would like it and only if it was good condition :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I would def. buy second hand presents! Last year my girls got a big wooden horse barn for Christmas that I got second hand. I painted it up and it looked like new. Its nice when second hand toys get a new lease on life after they have been through many hours of childrens play and are much preloved.
    It always makes me sad when I see toys that are not broken in the rubbish. I keep most of my daughters toys they outgrow to keep...for visiting children and maybe for future grandchildren. :) I am sure Miss E will be absolutely delighted!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. SCORE!
    And yes, I definitely buy second hand for gifts. I tend to only do it for my own family, and people I know won't be offended/disappointed by it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Louana - no computer for a week so just now catching up on my fav blogs. Yes I think you have a great find there - yes I would definately buy 2nd hand for gifts and in fact my friend & I make each other up a parcel each year of little wrapped (handmade) goodies & we both always include an Op shop purchase. She has given me some lovely doilies etc this way and last year I found her a wonderful (very vintage) knitting book in the Hospice shop.
    I am sure your little one will be delighted with her little House. Hugs, Julie :-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yes we often get second hand for our kids and sometimes we haven't even bought them we've just been given them and we clean them and wrap them up for birthday or Christmas. I think the best presents are the ones like that or hand made over a period of time. This is a GREAT score.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for your comments, it makes my day! - I try and reply by email, so it's great if your email is connected to your account.