Friday, February 21, 2014

Lego love - the party edition




We celebrated a 5th birthday here last weekend. It was a very bleated party, with the real birthday being in early January. But with lots of little friends away on holiday during that time, it made sense to celebrate a bit later.

I've long wanted to host a "Lego" themed party, we are a Lego loving family. Lego is the single most played with item in our house, played by family members young and old. I did a little Internet research for party ideas, adding some to this Pinterest board - Lego party ideas. I wanted to keep it fairly simple and easy to prepare keeping in mind a budget too, I do believe you don't have to spend a fortune to have a fun and memorable party.


I kept the cake simple (it was his third cake!) butter-cream icing and some stack-able Lego lollies that I bought from Crazy Candies. They stock an impressive array of confectionery mainly imported from the USA.

We kept the menu simple too, but I had spied this amazing Jelly recipe a while ago and was keen to give that a go. You can find the recipe for Glass block Jelly here. If like me, your country doesn't have sachets of gelatin, each sachet mentioned in the recipe is equal to 2.5 teaspoons. I was so impressed with how it turned out, as were the guests! Not to mention it can be made ahead of time, always a winner in my books.


I bought a Lego silicone mould off Trademe and poured melted crayons in it for take home gifts. Along with a printed Lego colouring in book. We also spent an afternoon in the school holidays making polymer clay (Fimo)  pendants, squishing the clay into the moulds. It was a fun activity that even the youngest member of our family could take part in.


I printed off some little Lego guys and hid them around the garden - "I spy a Lego guy". Super easy and the kids had a blast trying to find them. I set them a task of finding three each, although I'd hidden many more, just in case some went astray.


Simple white bags were transformed with printed Lego guys and washi tape, other than the colouring in books and crayons I included a small bag of the Lego candy and the Lego pendants.


We greeted the guests with VIP tags, attached to a lanyard so they could wear them easily during the party. There were five activities planned so I added some little check box circles at the bottom to mark them off as we did them. Once all the activities were competed each child could have their goodie bag. It was amazing how enthusiastic they were about getting their passes marked off and asking about the next activity, it made the time go so quickly.




We had a "Lego spoon race" and we played "don't eat Pete". I printed off the game from Delia Creates and had enlarged it to A3 size, instead of laminating it, I just used washi tape to attatch it to the table. Don't eat Pete was the biggest hit, probably my favourite activity of the day. It was a new game to me, but I love how you could easily make one to match any party theme.



It was such a fun party and the feedback suggests it was the "best birthday party ever" possibly a slight exaggeration, but I'd definitely do it all again!

8 comments :

  1. Looks freeking amazing Louana! Gosh i don't know where to start! Just awesome! x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ahhhmaaaaziiiiiing!!! So many great ideas!!! The jelly, the lanyards, the pendants... and every other thing...

    ReplyDelete
  3. what a fantastic party and so many great ideas, LOVE it!!! off to read about that pete game now… :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. that is soooo cool. I think we have NZ's largest collection of lego - my brother used to live 10 minutes from Legoland and had an annual pass, so these large boxes of "pick'n'mix" lego jsut used to turn up..... we have 2 massive bins under the bed. I wish so much of it had not been broken up.... too much now to find pieces to build the real sets.
    Parties we would just pull the boxes out and everyone would play for ever..

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow. Looks amazing! I'm off to go and look up don't eat Pete....I have never heard of it before and I am on the hunt for some party games :) xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a great party Louana! No wonder the kids were so enthusiastic!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I've never seen that jelly block idea before, it looks so effective. I also love the crayons you made with a mould, it's a great idea. The whole party looked fantastic, wish I was 5 so someone could do this for me.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for your comments, it makes my day! - I try and reply by email, so it's great if your email is connected to your account.